A stack of papers on a desk.

Reimbursement for Privately Funded Services

The current school closures due to COVID-19 have left several families of children in special education wondering what options they have for ensuring that their child does not fall behind or regress in their academics or skills. Some families are wondering whether they may be entitled to reimbursement if they privately fund additional services, such as tutoring, or language and speech services, etc. to supplement the what their school districts are (or not) providing.

Whenever parents decide to privately fund services for their child, they are not guaranteed reimbursement from the school district, however, it is a possibility. To bring a reimbursement claim, Parents must notify the District in writing at least 10 days in advance of funding the service. 34 C.F.R. § 300.148. The notice must indicate that parents are privately funding a specific service due to the District’s failure to provide a specific service, and that they intend to seek reimbursement.